Learning how to build a web store sounds like a major challenge, doesn’t it? You would think that it would require technical skills and sophisticated software to handle the store setup and e-commerce processing.
And then you would need to find products to sell and figure out how to deliver them to customers.
All you need is a webpage, such as a page on a simple WordPress blog, and an Amazon account.
You have that? Then, by the time you have finished reading this article and followed the simple steps I will share with you, you will have built an easy online store with a few hundred products, like this one.
Does that sound good?
There are 2 steps in making an online store – setting up an Amazon aStore and then embedding it in your webpage.
How To Set Up An Amazon aStore
Assuming that you already have an Amazon account, there are 2 things you will need to do first if you haven’t already done so:
- Sign up as an Amazon Associate (it’s free) so that you can create an aStore.
- Make at least one purchase from Amazon (if you have already bought at least one item you can skip this step).
To sign up as an Amazon Associate, click on this link and follow the instructions.
The second requirement is necessary because we shall be making a Listmania! list and Amazon requires at least one purchase on your account before you can make a list (they say that it is a way of maintaining list quality).
If you did need to make your first purchase, you will have to wait 24 hours before creating a Listmania! List (this is part of the Amazon Process).
Finding Products For Your Store
For the purposes of this guide, let’s say your name is Jim.
- Log into Amazon and click on the “Jim’s Amazon.com” link to the right of the Amazon logo in the top left corner of the page.
- This will open a third row in the page header with “Your Amazon.com” on the left. Click on the “Your Profile” option and then “Edit Your Profile” on the right.
- The second tab under “Contributions” is “Lists”. Create a new list and start adding products.
- Add products from one product category – up to 40 per category. The best way to do this is to open a new browser window and search for the products in the new window. When you have found the product, scroll down and find the ASIN number. Copy it, go back to your list and select the “Enter Product ASINs” option and paste the ASIN.
- When you have selected all the products you want to sell in this category, click on the “publish list” option. You have just created your first Listmania! list. Repeat step 4 to create 4 to 6 Listmania! lists for categories that fit into your store’s overall theme.
- Return to your “Contributions” – “Listmania! Lists” page which will show all your lists. Select them one by one and copy the number in the address bar at the top of your browser between the “/lm/” and the “/ref=”. Paste each of these numbers (for all your lists) into a text file (using your text editor, like Notepad). These numbers identify your Listmania! lists.
Setting Up Your aStore
- Log in to your Amazon Associates account by clicking on the Amazon Associates logo in the top right hand corner of your page. Start by creating a tracking ID for this aStore so that you can monitor where your sales are coming from. Give it a name that you will recognise, like “jimspowertools01” if it is selling power tools. Amazon will add a 2 digit country code on the end – “-20” for the US, for example.
- Select the “aStore” tab at the top of the page and then “add an aStore”. Select the tracking code you have just created.
- Under “settings” select “mature content screening” and “set up a link back to your site”.
- Add category pages by selecting “add category page”. Name the category title the same as your Listmania! list category name. Then, select “add products from a Listmania! list”. Under “enter Listmania! list ID”, paste the list number from your text file. Add a category description, to appear as a heading above your list of products. “Save changes” and repeat for all your lists.
- Select “continue” and customise the theme using the colors you have on your web page. Give the store a name and select “show store header”.
- Select “continue” and then choose whether you want the sidebar left or right.
- Select “finish and get link”. Choose the second option – “Embed my store using an inline frame”. Highlight the html and copy it. Paste it into your text file.
How To Embed Your Easy Online Store Into Your Web Page
If you are able to create a webpage, this is the easiest step of all.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and add a page (or use whatever you normally use to create a webpage). Give it a title and then select the “text” view of the page in the editor and paste the embed code from your text file.
- Preview the page. It should look identical to the preview on Amazon.
- It will be left-aligned. To center align the store, add <div style=”text-align:center;> before the <iframe and </div> after the </iframe>.
Now all you need to do is drive traffic to your page and monitor your earnings!
If you have comments, suggestions, additions or questions, please use the comment form below.
If you have found this useful, please share it with others by clicking on one of the buttons below.
And, if you would like our free business plan template as well as more practical tips like these, please complete the form below.